Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Review: Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I seldom do this with any book, but I'm going to give up on this one half way through. This was a tale of some deranged young man who wandered around the back country trying to... do what I'm not sure --- find himself? Eventually he hikes into the tundra of Alaska without so much as a good pair of boots and, surprise, winds up dead. This is a fine story and would've made a good magazine article. But it gets stretched out into this tedious affair of comparing this nut job to every other nut job who ever lived off the land. A history of every John Muir wannabee that wound up dead. Not terribly interesting actually.

A guy from my last job loaned me this book. I need to get it back to him somehow. Interoffice mail isn't going to work. :-)

No comments: